The Byzantine Empire is also known as the East Roman Empire and it continued to exit for more almost 1000 years after the fall of Rome (476 AD), until the fall of Constatinople (1453 AD). Roman civilization and values were preserved during all this time in Constantinople, now Istanbul. It’s a very inspiring civilization.
Celebrating this new site, I recomend some interesting books about the Byzantine Empire:
- Byzantium: The Early Centuries, by John Julius Norwich
- Byzantium: The Apogee, by John Julius Norwich
- Byzantium: The Decline and Fall,
- A History of the Crusades, Vol. I: The First Crusade and the Foundations of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, by Steven Runciman
- A History of the Crusades, Vol. II: The Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Frankish East, 1100-1187, by Steven Runciman
- A History of the Crusades, Vol. III: The Kingdom of Acre and the Later Crusades, by Steven Runciman
More tech and art comments to follow !